Its not about "closed source" or "open source", these terms shouldnt even be used here as the ignore the ethical facts of free software. https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

If you are targeting the free software movement for a device, you have to realize that there will be no compromises in terms of freedom. The Librem says they are going to try to get the source code available for all bootloader functionality by prying it out of intel's hands, and that's one of the pitches of the campaign. However, I am 100% betting that if the campaign is successful, and they are unable to get the source code from the vendors, the librem will still be released even with the (seriously) nonfree blobs at its core. That will miss-represent us as a community (here's a free/libre laptop, but actually its just "almost free"). This laptop is not part of the free software community, specifically because it requires nonfree blobs to function at a base level.

It just rubs me and other like me the wrong way, by trying to get us to back to development of something that uses our values as marketing terms.

I wouldnt have such a problem with it if it were instead "Opensourcem: the mostly open-source laptop," so that I would at least know, "well, freedom available when convenient"