I can't see much of anything on the IndieGoGo page (apparently it requires JavaScript just for reading some text...), but from what I have seen, this strikes me as no better than, say, the Ouya. It's not trying to be free at all, much less more free than existing tablets. Why would you suppose that it would be more free, then?

The One Laptop Per Child project says some stuff about "open source", too, and incidentally, they've developed a tablet. That tablet probably isn't any worse than this one.