lI'm not a lawyer, but your understanding of the technology, risks, and the law is probably misguided. BitTorrent is not illegal (anywhere that I'm aware of anyway) and criminal copyright infringement is aimed at operators of commercial businesses profiting off of copyright infringement (in the US an generally speaking). You would really have to work at it to attract the attention of law enforcement (ie you would have to setup / operate a linking site, run a file sharing service, upload torrents relating to copyright content you don't have the right to distribute to a forum and actually that is probably more likely to attract civil attention I think, etc) in other words.

Short of that your only talking about a civil matter. Chances are you would call up a lawyer in a civil case and have them negotiate a settlement. Maybe at a cost of $5,000-$10,000 USD. The majority of that would be to cover legal fees and the actual settlement would probably be under $1,000 USD-but at worse probably $8,000 USD. However that's a worst case scenario as the risk of being targeted by copyright owners is extremely small. Your probably more likely to get hit by a bus than be targeted for civil copyright infringement. There simply are so many people doing it and I'm not even sure that's an approach being taken right now by copyright owners. At least not enough to make the news much these days.