I'm glad to hear you are considering buying a pre-owned laptop, thereby keeping a few bits of toxic materials out of the waste stream. Also, you're repurposing perfectly-good hardware. Before installing any new operating system onto such a machine, I'd "shred" the drive. You can do this from any GNU/Linux live image, such as Trisquel 7. Boot the live medium, open a terminal, use the "lsblk" command to learn what device refers to the hard drive. That done, you can do
sudo shred /dev/sda

for instance, assuming the hard drive is /dev/sda.

You could also do something like

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

This would write 0 onto the entire disk, unless you stop before it finishes.

HTH,

Dave