I'm just going to throw this out there, not expecting any sort of answer, but just because I want to share the thought. It was brought on by a post on Reddit about funding libre software development.

My idea is a variation on crowdfunding. It goes like this: when a program is ready for use, a release date quite a long time away (say, a couple years) is announced; the program is to be released by that date. But then donations are asked for, and a target goal announced. As money is donated, the wait decays exponentially. If the goal is reached, the program is released immediately.

I thought of this idea as a way to get rid of the uncertainty associated with normal crowdfunding. If you donate, and the target isn't reached, it doesn't mean the donation is for nothing, because instead of having to wait, say, two years, you may only have to wait two months. I think this could be particularly useful for games.