What exactly is the legality of a free software video game with
copyrighted, proprietary characters? I am a brony, an adult fan of My
Little Pony: Friendship is Magic[1], so I would like to play games
featuring the characters of the series. Unfortunately, the characters
and universe are all proprietary, the copyrights held by Hasbro.

I am thinking of a free software game engine with all the
character/universe data that could be copyrighted by Hasbro released
under a noncommercial license, because they are pretty tolerant of
noncommercial fanart. This idea could also be appropriate for fans of
other proprietary series, such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who,
etc.

Is there some "skinnable" free software game where you can add
characters and storylines of the proprietary universe you happen to be
a fan of? In my experience. most of the free culture/free software
games with a storyline just aren't very well written. :-(

Also, would you still consider such a game free software?

[1] http://whatisabrony.com/