t3g wrote:
> If they want, they can re-license your code to a non-free one without
> your control as they own your work. Canonical is known to be shady
> with their CLAs as they leverage the GPL to force you to use free
> software but then change it to non-free code since they have all the
> power to do so as the original copyright holder. Some say that
> Upstart may have been more popular and systemd would have never
> existed if Canonical was better with contributed code and them being
> less draconian with forcing their own copyrights.

If Canonical licenses the software under the GPL then it doesn't matter
too much if they also license it under a non-free software license.

Here is the FSF advice on assigning copyright (CLA):
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/assigning-copyright.html

and the obligatory RMS philosophy article on "selling exceptions":
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling-exceptions.html

I think there are advantages and disadvantages either way, but having
code assigned to an entity willing to defend free software seems like a
good idea, but in practice might be more trouble than it's worth.

Andrew