I'm pretty sure it was Trisquel 6, not Trisquel 5.5, which uses Compiz by default; that's what gives the window snapping feature. Trisquel 7 now uses Metacity by default again. You can still install and use Compiz (though I don't know how to do it).

The semi-transparent black from Trisquel 5.5 was probably removed because it looks incredibly ugly now, and it was even glitchy in Trisquel 5.5. To see what I mean, right-click on a panel, choose Properties, and go to the Background tab. Trisquel 5.5 had this set to semi-transparent black rather than "system theme"; try setting it to this, and you'll notice that it doesn't work consistently (in particular, the indicator applet won't change color with the panel; several other applets also have such a problem).