I remember that the Trisquel community was mostly cautious about this.

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/librem-15-freelibre-and-open-source-laptop-respects-your-essential-freedoms

Todd-at-purism said:

"Well, it's smart to be cautious, since building trust is usually a game of time. But to answer your concern, I, Todd Weaver, am behind it, you can see from my past I enjoy fighting the status quo, and am excited to put that effort into freeing hardware. We may get some FSF support prior to endorsement, so that should help with the trust game. I've been working with RMS and FSF for quite awhile."

Chris critiqued Purism's claims. It's worth reading his post, #24, at 11/25/2014 - 02:29

Todd replied to Chris: "ThinkPenguin post, take with a grain of salt, since they'd see anybody selling hardware as competition, not as furthering a movement. Time will tell..."

That's not a response to anything that Chris raised.