Just in case it is useful to someone else:

A few days ago I felt motivated to try out Trisquel 7 again.

This time I tried to do what was suggested in http://trisquel.info/en/forum/trisquel-70-flash-disk-and-amd-raedonlimited-resolution: Commenting the line in /etc/modprobe.d/disable-radeon.conf, run 'sudo update-initramfs -u' and reboot the system. It didn't appear make any difference. But that's not very unexpected either because /etc/modprobe.d/disable-radeon.conf is present on Trisquel 6 as well, with the same contents.

So, the clear things up a bit: It seems like radeon has always been blacklisted for me, both on Trisquel 6 and 7.

In Trisquel 7, I now know for sure that xserver-xorg-video-vesa is being used. I have tried to remove other video driver packages and have not been able to see any difference. By removing xserver-xorg-video-vesa, though, I get no graphical interface after rebooting.

Trisquel 6 and 7 uses different versions of that package:

Trisquel 6: 1:2.3.0-7build2
Trisquel 7: 1:2.3.3-1build1

I tried downloading the Trisquel 6 .deb file and install, but that unsurprisingly didn't work very well. dpkg complained about unmet dependencies. After a reboot I got no graphical interface.

My current idea is to try to recompile the Trisquel 6 version for Trisquel 7.