Thanks david. I was surprised when it recommended google chrome - apparently because someone convinced him - but it didn't say why. I know google chrome is not secure and should not trust the script. Icedove is better than thunderbird like you said. It's unfortunate the state of usability of some of security software, but tor and tails have done an adequate job of bridging free software and security. However these tools alone are not secure. I like to remind myself it is about the process and not the destination, and that free software as a precondition is resistant to security leaks that proprietary software does by default yet not being invincible.