As far as I know contrib is like a repo of free packages that do absolutely nothing but install (or otherwise work with) proprietary software like Adobe Flash.

Basically the only uses of the de jure libre packages in contrib is with nonfree software (not all of which packages over at nonfree).

Packages in contrib only function with proprietary software - if you're looking to avoid proprietary software I don't see how contrib makes your software less limited.

So I tink it'd be best, by far, to have it removed.

I might be wrong (and if so please tell me), but I'm pretty sure I ain't.