I've been using Trisquel as my only OS for almost two years now. I used Ubuntu briefly and then found Richard Stallman. Was lucky with my hardware in that it worked without problems. Then I was inspired to get a free bios in the form of libreboot and got a gluglug http://shop.gluglug.org.uk/ No problems. The terminal although daunting at first is now my go-to guy for most tasks. One thing I found very useful at first is dragging a file from a nautilus window and dropping it in the terminal. This gives you a working path to the file without having to rack your brain.
;)