I switched over to Cinnamon as soon as possible since my video card at the time (Nvidia GT 430) supported 3D acceleration with the Nouveau drivers. If I did not have that option, MATE would have been great to use instead due familiarity and that I could use the exiting Trisquel themes.

Like I said before with MATE being officially supported, I could use future versions of Trisquel out of the box on more hardware without having to fight the limited default environment currently in Trisquel 6 and 7.