Hello Firefox :-)

Well, I wonder about Mozilla using Telefonika. What kind of data retention does Telefonika make?

@Heather The good thing about Hello FF (am aware it's in fact "FF Hello") is that you don't need to register. Yet in this case, you need to send a URL to your friend (or aged father) so they can communicate with you. I haven't tried Hello FF because of possible privacy issues but I've been told it works like a charm. It's the best choice to free non-techie people from Skype in a tick.

Pidgin seems the best choice as it supports OTR and both text and video.
Ekiga is great but is a bit temperamental, according to users.

Cheers