Oh, this just keeps getting funnier.

The partnership as a part of the settlement over patents and only patents (again why GPL is a great creation, it avoids this nonsense), anyway, also had SUSE create their system so it can operate within companies that are mainly Microsoft oriented (ie: most companies) and the SUSE OS (SLES) would be able to work with the other systems flawlessly.

But to say that SUSE or openSUSE is a Microsoft product is just laughable. Their OBS (open build service) is one of the largest repositories for free software in the world (Debian has more), however, Debian does not hold programs or build programs for other distros, openSUSE does. You can build programs for Debian, Fedora, CentOS, Slackware...etc..., I would say that is a pretty darn good commitment to open source.

Again, the settlement was not between SUSE and Microsoft it was between Novell and Microsoft. And yes, I do think they (Novell) copped out and caved in to the pressure, which RedHat did not, so cudos to them for that. openSUSE is community driven like Fedora, but even more open and autonomy then Fedora.

Agreed, this is not the place to discuss that distro. in any detail, but wanted to clarify your points.