first time I send or reply to an email I always sign it. That way I make it clear that I prefer using encryption. If it is only one time or two times generic, boring, impersonal mail communication, I don't care too much, but if it is personal and private I insist that the recipient installs enigmail and teach them in 5 mins how to sign/encrypt/decrypt the mail. Most are lazy, but if you insist and they are friends, they will learn and use it.

ruggedinbox is great, because it uses libre software and doesn't require JS to signup or login and use the webmail service. It doesn't ask for an email account when you signup. It has a tor hidden service, works great. Bulgaria is certainly better than France (openmailbox. openmailbox also requires js for signup/login and it uses a google js for the captcha).