The point is rather that physical limits and limits of the current production methods are keeping the CPU manufacturers from increasing the clock speed any further. So instead of this they keep at a maximum clock below 4GHz and have started to add more and more cores.

This results in multiple issues !
First adding more and more cores does not make the CPU performance skyrocket since all those core still share the same cache and infrastructure below. Second adding more and more cores is limited due to productions methods and heat produced by those cores. Third but not least not every problem / algorithm can be multi-threaded very easy and many tools are still not optimized for multi-core systems.

Beside this I have tried yesterday reducing the amount of particles in the menu and this seems to enhance performance a lot. I have not tried the settings in the Cfg you mentioned though but will do in the next week while I am on vacation. I am still unsure if those particles are the only reasons for a slowdown on my Gaming box.

I also tried the latest release of ChaosEsque on my GNU/Linux (TM) box and it gave me a segmentation error. No matter what executable or shell script I tried. Shouldn't I be able to run ChaosEsque by simply launching any of the Xonotic binaries matching my CPU architecture (x64) and the rendering backend (glx vs. sdl) ?
Or am I missing something ?