I think your missing something big. It's less relevant what the architecture is. What is important is that we can build off it, it be free, modern, and we end up with a design that can be cost effective and cheaply adaptable if something better comes out (ie not ARM, but something else). However I think people are underestimating the power of ARM anyway. While any initial design would likely be considerably less powerful than what we expect today it's where the tech is going that matters. ARM is catching up as the majority of computing devices use it over Intel or AMD CPUs. Most devices manufactured today are not X86. They're cell phones, tablets, and similar devices that are built off ARM.

I think patents are not the issue. If you try to build off 20 year old expired tech we're talking about pentium era technology. We've already got more freedom-friendly tech we can build off without going that route.