Thanks for the reply!
Here is the outpup you asked:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series]

However, and maybe I am being slow on this one, but... Why did the older kernel had the ability to work well without a proprietary firmware and the newer one doesn't?? I thought the newer kernel would have better support than the older.

You mean that the 3.10 libre kernel works fine at native resolutions (for example the one I mentioned 1366x738) even without the patch, right?

I suppose all the newer kernels will have the same issue, right? Without patch, no deal, right? What is the latest kernel that will have support for a longer period of time that we could use without the patch? Seeing as the patch doesn't work all that well...

Could you please provide more info on who is the person who developed the patch? Website, forum, contact, anything..?

I don't like the idea of using a kernel that crashes on me (I want a stable and secure OS) but even less the idea of installing something from an unknown source.

Thanks!!