OK, so you endorse my proposed three category rating system, but propose reducing the number of GUI interfaces to maintain. I believe that AR/A and Synaptic should have quite different purposes. In my original proposal, AR/A would only offer end-user applications, although I agree this would include any user-friendly expansions available for those applications. Synaptic would also offer packages average end users don't use, for things like development environments, test servers etc.

I presume that the same non-graphical back-end programs are being invoked by both AR/A and Synaptic when they call the same functions (eg install or uninstall), and that these same programs are probably being invoked by apt-get commands too. Also, the Synaptic and AR/A GUIs are mostly calling on libraries used in other graphical apps. So there's not as much duplication of effort as it might appear.