Teelinome: sorry that didn't work :(
I suggested that procedure because that is what I did some time ago when I had some audio issues (which I then solved by completely purging pulse audio). I needed a decent audio control applet and I installed and made automatically executable on boot the plugin "volti" and it worked.

I have little experience with cinnamon (Mint cinnamon was my first distro when I switched to GNU) but being that I used it a long time ago I don't remember well the panel settings etc.. Maybe try asking in their IRC or forum or whatever they have.