You can build a desktop computer with hardware from 2005-2008 that runs all free software and 3d free software games flawlessly.

The biggest problem here it is not how old it is your hardware, the biggest problem are drivers of GPU.

And here not much info about GPU performance with latest drivers and kernel.

If we don't cooperate, we can't complain. So, we will not to have the info.

So, no body knows, what GPU will work fine without blobs, and performance near an Intel's HDxxxx.

The problem it is not the price, the problem is information and drivers.

This web is a good initiative, but I see that no doby cooperate.

http://www.free3d.org/

But nothing to do with old kernel and old drivers, the info it is not updated.

I benchmarked my GPUs, but no body want to do the same: