Hello everybody,
thanks for your kind advice!
I'm proud to say that i successfully removed 1g of ram from an older notebook and put it into my thinkpad.
Now I have 2gig and it also shows up in htop.
which frequency they have, i sadly don't know.
Forgot to pay attention when inserting the chip.

But yeah it was really easy; i guess i just had bad experience when i tried to replace the wifi card in a laptop that was the complete opposite of hackable. It was such a pain in the ass... i ended up breaking it, but looking back, i think it wasn't my fault actually.

So again, thanks everybody.