jvn may have crashed headlong into the grub user trap, which asks for a username without saying that it is asking for the grub username, which is always (?) "grub." Given your own username, grub then asks for a password, again without specifying that it is the grub password, which is in that special place that Magic Banana never tires of describing, thank goodness.

This unpleasant minimization of textural descriptions dates back to the good old days of computing when everything had to fit on a floppy disk.

That said, whenever I have gone through a Trisquel installation, I have always been asked to give my desired username and password, which I have dutifully done.

Then Trisquel sometimes goes on to ask for a root password whenever root privileges are needed, but there is no need for any such root password, again as Magic Banana patiently explains, because one must instead prepend "sudo" before any such command in the console in order to gain root privileges [temporarily], or simply type one's own password when "authentication" is demanded in the GUI.

All that said, one is nevertheless allowed to add a root terminal to the Trisquel menu, which only compounds the confusion of the new or naive user.

The proper substitute is the use of the sudo modifier in console operations.