Exactly, it is a very bad thing to put your content into a patented or even worse a DRM based format; But it shouldn't be a reason for you to not decode it into a libre system/format. DVD for example is a terrible format but because we can decode it with free software - we can at least use it as we please to some degree. It doesn't require a proprietary system to decode it.

I used to download Aubile audio books and then liberate them to a libre format for my own usage, that said it was using the "analogue hole" to do it. ;)