About functional works, ok, I get the argument overall (though the NC aspect isn't specifically addressed, but I see how it can be impractical to distribute, for say, financing the printing of manuals).

about non-functional works, I thought about the post-scarcity mindset (though not as a society but as an individual), and indeed it could work for me.
As long as no power (money) is involved, it's a possibility.

As for how such a scarcity-free society could happen, (besides for example torrents contributing to that), I vaguely remember that the whole Silicon Valley is working somehow towards that. Probably not with the exact same intentions, but with the idea of making work for a living unnecessary (not necessarily a positive thing, but it's a natural evolution as technology evolves). I'd like to read more about this subject, and I'll try to find that article.

I'll also try to check if his argument has evolved. but most likely it didn't, because even with e-books, the situation is overall not that different I suppose.

Thanks for the link, Magic Banana.