Thinkpenguin says, arm is the most viable path. It is difficult to argue with thinkpenguin because he has dealt with the difficulties about free software on hardware. About arm I think he is wrong. I do not think that arm and x86 are different. Both will not release software to provide all free software hardware. Likely they will invent more features that will make it more difficult or impossible to make all free software hardware.

On 32c3 this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6bJ5b8Dgoc shows efforts to get x86 hardware that is secure for the user. If it can be made and verified, it is great. But what stops intel from making new hardware that would require new security software again?

That is why I think free software people should support riscv. Riscv is all free hardware if people want it. http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1328620&page_number=1. Lowrisc may one day have a raspberry pi2 performance comparable board for sale. Can't people like thinkpenguin and other promote riscv? I do not know what skills lowrisc is in demand of. And if they are common among computer people. If they are can't an effort be made to provide software?