Hello, northernarcher!

You need to install readline. Did ./configure kick out any warnings? I believe it would've caught this. You'll likely also need libssl, build-essential, and a half-dozen other packages. If you're building Ruby in order to build a Rails project, these are the packages you'll need installed before you get started:

build-essential
openssl
libreadline6
libreadline6-dev
curl
git-core
zlib1g
zlib1g-dev
libssl-dev
libyaml-dev
libsqlite3-dev
sqlite3
libxml2-dev
libxslt-dev
autoconf
libc6-dev
ncurses-dev
automake
libtool
bison
nodejs
subversion

For what it's worth, you might want to try using chruby (https://github.com/postmodern/chruby) and ruby-install (https://github.com/postmodern/ruby-install) as it will isolate your ruby versions and handle dependency installation for you. Keeping Ruby up to date is a bit of a chore and these two utilities will help.

There are other build automation tools and version managers but these have worked the best for me. They're lightweight and don't do any of the silly tricks some of the other packages do.

Good luck and Happy Hacking!