I had the same problem with video drivers. I think it may arise from it detecting an older version of Nouveau (for me) or the Intel one. Or it could just be detecting the drivers wrongly. At any rate, I can't use the highest graphics level. Level 4 worked reasonably well for the simpler levels but when the courses got more elaborate it would slow down considerably. So I put it on level 3 settings and it works more smoothly although there is some slow-down on the newer courses. I like the gameplay best (and can't be bothered with story mode) over really flashy graphics although clearly the situation with free drivers is not ideal for the most graphically intensive games. I am grateful for the free drivers and firmware though.