Worry not mate, for there is a GPL one that does the same but as usual with free software, does it better indeed! :)

http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/XDecorations?content=167575

I compiled it and played a little with it (I found your "having some snow on desktop" idea nice) and the application is very neat IMHO.

The instructions are inside the INSTALL readme file.
You install the dependencies and compile with just "make" and run the executable.
./xdecorations -configfile ./xdecorations.rc

Play with the xdecorations.rc file to change the placement of the objects on the screen, the amount of them, the lights, the snow and the wind etc etc.. Also, if you want just the snow, turn of (put value 0) the other things in the .rc file.

Happy grav-mass!