Insistence isn't likely to work. What we ultimately need is competition. More libre games, and more importantly, more powerful copylefted game engines.

I think abolition of copyright law would also mostly solve the problem. The incentive to make the source code available for modders would usually be higher than the incentive to keep it hidden in a mostly useless attempt to suppress competition (mostly useless because there are some very dedicated hackers in gaming communities that find ways to modify the games regardless of source code availability, and without copyright, competitors could mostly do this commercially without fear).