I decided I really like gnome shell better than fallback or mate. Here is a guide below on how to remove all of mate. I really loved the faenza mate icons so I did download that before removing the mate repo. Command is here. "aptitude download mate-icon-theme-faenza" enter that into terminal to save a deb file of the icons. To install it after removal of mate do "sudo dpkg -i mate-icon-theme-faenza*" without the quotes.

To install gnome shell and with shell extensions(panel applets are now called this).
"sudo apt-get install gnome-shell"
"sudo aptitude install gnome-shell-extensions"
"sudo aptitude install gnome-shell-extension-weather"

Here is the guide to remove mate and mate repo from trisquel 7/ ubuntu 14.04.
http://sourcedigit.com/12228-uninstall-remove-mate-desktop-ubuntu-14-04-lts/