I understand where he is coming from, but the PyPi categories are not 100% accurate. Browsing the site, there are packages that say they are under a "BSD Licence" or "MIT Licence" and are listed as such, but there is no link to the source (on their site or Git) and the tar.gz or .zip files do not contain any licensing information.

If a list is to be curated, would it be included within the package or would it have to reference a file or site on an external server (that can be updated with new package) for it to work? There could also be a separate page that lists the free packages (like the Abrowser plugins), but will download from the PyPi servers. This database would be created by scraping the PyPi RSS feeds or using something like Requests and an HTML parser to pull the package names and links and store them. Or you can go with my original method of keeping a smaller blacklist.txt file that blocks it at the installer.

There's just so many methods in doing this and unfortunately I'm not getting a solid "do it this way" answer.