There is a term for this in the skeptics community, the Gish Gallop. There was a creationist Duane Gish who used to debate people by simply bombarding the other side with an excess of false arguments or misinformation with out allowing time for a full response, this was also exacerbated by making points that would have multiple talking points and not allowing for the questions/points to be resolved.

When you are on the receiving end of this - it can be VERY aggravating. Stallman did lose his stack but I don't lame him, he probably could have handled it better but I'm not surprised that he cracked.