I think the agreement was more complicated. I think making non-free software free is just as hard as making free software non-free, you have to get everybody that contributed to agree, but it would be a hell of a lot easier with unreal engine 1, because that's when they had less people developing it. I bet MS would love to put the NT Kernel under a GPL compatible license so they can get BtrFS working on Windows, but the NT Kernel touched too many hands making it impossible to track down. That's why when you have in house software and you want full control of it, it would be wise to add a "It's not your code, it's the company's" clause to the contract.

That said, I would add money into the bounty pool to lobby every studio that contributed to the unreal engine up until the point of Deus Ex.