If I'm honest, I am considerably more concerned by the constant tracking by the telecoms companies, rather than the nonfree software running on the device. Of course, they can take control of the device remotely (although some mobile system-on-chips have good isolation of the modem) but you can just remove the battery (or throw the device in a Faraday bag if you care that much). I wholly support Replicant but it hasn't managed to solve the problem of nonfree modem firmware yet, so I tend to accept these vile mobile spies as a necessary evil of modern life or don't use one at all. I prefer emails anyway.