That's easy: Check out which title is the real one by playing it in VLC or some such other program. Follow through the DVD menus to play it. Then go up to VLC's Playback menu and look at which title is playing. Instruct the ripping program to use that title. Ta Da. :)

So it is only a stupid annoyance and doesn't qualify as an "improved digital restrictions management scheme that libdvdcss is unable to crack, thus rendering the DVDs inaccessible under a free operating system" as you initially described, so I stand by my original statement. :)