Hi,

A few days ago, I wanted to register a new project on Sourceforge and they asked for my phone number to allow me registering a new project. I didn't give them my phone number and deactivated my account.

https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Create%20a%20New%20Project/:

"Key points about phone-based verification:

Our phone-based verification is performed using a reputable third-party provider (Nexmo). We store a one-way hashed (SHA1) copy of phone numbers in our database, allowing us to identify repeat offenders using multiple accounts. We do not store clear phone numbers in our database — numbers are used for verification only at time of first project registration. Nexmo maintains transaction logs containing phone numbers, available to us for diagnosis of PIN code delivery problems. Verification PIN codes are transmitted by SMS or voice and are good for five minutes.** "