It is preference. Mate and XFCE are not really functionally different. However, I would argue XFCE is more lightweight and customisable. Mate also has its own strangely-named applications not really functionally different from the GNOME equivalents, and its own terminal, so although you can launch the GNOME task manager from the menu, the GNOME terminal won't show up. I thought this was very odd. Personal experience though; Mate is easy to use and quite accomplished, although if you are looking for a GNOME equivalent with a traditional layout I tend yo prefer XFCE or Cinnamon. To be honest I use Ratpoison now so what do I know about desktop environments...