Well, since it's very first phase it appears that the company has based almost its entire monetary income in collecting personal/private information and via ads (targeted ones) exploiting boldly that info, turning it into cash, and finally, **selling** it to the highest bidder, or the one who cares enough and manages in some semi-legal way to get it. They have practically started what I would call "international global bulk recollection of personal data" AFAIK, long before facebook and sh.t. I don't really buy it they don't understand the danger implied in their amoral behavior. I think they are jolly well aware of it, just don't care.
Google has such a power today.. and so few ethics.