>Why not something like Cinnamon, which has a "natural" GNOME Shell layout and a fallback mode at the same time? Because Cinnamon, just like GNOME 3, is focused on modern machines with proprietary blobs thus one can assume that the "fallback" options could be discontinued in the near future. The classic option of GNOME Shell was originally intended to be dropped real soon and kind of "survived" due to its popularity.

A GNU/Linux distribution that uses absolutely no proprietary software and can utilize modern hardware only to some little extend should use a desktop environment that will most likely work under these circumstances in the foreseeable future.

>Or Xfce
XFCE is another good option I think. I'm not quite sure about access for handicapped people, though. Also, releases tend to be slow so reaction to security holes could lead to some concerns (and security concerns seems to make people consider switching to free software). Another little disadvantage is, that GNOME usually comes with feature-rich applications that offer everything new users expect from applications while XFCE tends to sacrifice a bit of functionality for performance (which, again, is a plus for XFCE).

But generally, yes, if a bit of work goes into that I think XFCE is also a good candidate for a 100% free software distro that also focuses on usability, new users.