"With every new installation of Ubuntu, my first task has been to apt-get install synaptic."

It is one of the first things I end up doing as well. It must be so automatic that I just don't remember when I've had to install it and when it was installed by default!

"Synaptic is for Debian based distros but Ubuntu skips it"

So this means that Trisquel skips it too, right? I'll have to pay closer attention on my next install of Trisquel.

It is worth learning 'apt', since 'add/remove programs' often gives less comprehensive results. In this case, however, I verified that it had the package the OP was looking for.