Hey man!
I feel your pain. To a certain extent most of us are actually forced to use proprietary software in our work place, just some people don't admit it. Yes, if on has to use a computer which has Windows installed, or watch videos of something using Flash, you are using proprietary software! Don't be a prick and say that the guy is the only one doing it just because he is in a position that is more directly involved with technology. And to say to someone (unemployed or not) that you should just get another job, that is just disgusting and arrogant.

So, to answer your question, honestly I don't know much about it, but I would say that maybe using the wine option is the least bad one? Think about long-term however, will that be sustainable for the whole project? Or are you going to go through pain to get it working this way now only to have a different and situation tomorrow that will get you a step back? Think about the best long term option, which might or might not be wine.

Hope you the best man.