Ars Technica have written an article about the outcome of the Oracle vs Google trial: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/05/op-ed-oracle-attorney-says-googles-court-victory-might-kill-the-gpl/ They argue that the verdict, that use of the Java APIs was "fair use" could destroy the GNU GPL because Google argued that anything freely available can be used as such. Personally, I think it could be a valid point. I think it is important to distinguish between an API and software though. Copying the API is like copying a programmer's manual. Copying software is like copying whole works.
Thoughts?