No, you don't have to edit the file. Let's imagine the following scenario. I run FVWM, and when FVWM is the only window manager installed, running startx on its own should begin FVWM. Now I want to switch to Ratpoison. I delete FVWM and install Ratpoison, then running startx starts Ratpoison. I believe it points to another file with the default Xsession or something (it's quite confusing in all honesty). There are several ways to start multiple environments. I can run startx ratpoison or startx openbox begin Ratpoison and OpenBox respectively (as far as I know those are correct). However it opens an Xterm and prints all the errors which can be annoying, especially on Ratpoison. So you edit the ~/.Xinitrc file to specify what startx does, for example this works: exec /usr bin/Ratpoison I'm not sure how ~/.Xsession works. Here is a forum posting about it: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/47359/what-is-xsession-for You should try and look more deeply into the subject of X sessions. I am not very experienced with it, it's quite confusing.