Further update:

Ran php on the index.php from the command line.
It output the following errors.

phpmyadmin: Failed to load /var/lib/phpmyadmin/blowfish_secret.inc.php Check group www-data has read access and open_basedir restrictions. phpmyadmin: Failed to load /var/lib/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php Check group www-data has read access and open_basedir restrictions. phpmyadmin: Failed to load /etc/phpmyadmin/config-db.php Check group www-data has read access and open_basedir restrictions.

I checked the permissions of the files mentioned; they have read access by group www-data.
I don't know what is meant by 'open_basedir restrictions'.

Captured the output HTML from running php and attempted to display it in the browser.
It showed nothing (as expected) so edited bits out until it did.
The item causing the blank page was this:
        [style]html{display: none;}[/style]
[ I do not know how to display quoted code in this forum, so have replaced the angle-brackets round the HTML tags with square brackets, otherwise it fails to display properly on the forum page. ]
Removing the 'style' tag allowed a reasonable looking page to display.

I'm not an expert on HTML, so not sure why that tag is there,
possibly it is meant to be overridden by some other included text that is missing.

The page that showed had a couple of possibly significant lines:
        Javascript must be enabled past this point
and
        The $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] directive MUST be set in your configuration
file!

Anyone able to throw any light here?