I don't get the notion that Debian is better than Ubuntu. Both Debian and Ubuntu segregate libre from proprietary software (though I think Debian's definition of what constitutes "free" is better), and both generally have a good selection of software... except Ubuntu has a better selection because of PPAs. Debian is not more "stable" than Ubuntu LTS in any sense of the word; it doesn't crash any less (neither of them normally crash), and it doesn't change any less (neither of them change except for bugfixes).

Also, I don't think providing a GNU FSDG-compliant version of Debian is as useful as providing a GNU FSDG-compliant version of Ubuntu. Debian's only problems at this point are in its documentation, really. Ubuntu actually ships Linux with blobs, and with the non-free repository enabled, by default.