Replying to the last message since I don't have the first/original
message that started this discussion.

I have experimenting with how GIMP works with color profiles, and it
seems that it can open images made with different color profiles, using
the corresponding color profiles (as long as you do have them), but GIMP
cannot create the images with such non-RGB profiles from the start. I
haven't tested this yet, but my best bet would be using Inkscape to
create a simple image, assigning the correct color profile to the file
properties, and then use GIMP to do the editing. Of course, Inkscape
(and probably, GIMP) only works with .icc/.icm color profiles, so,
assuming you have `icc-profiles-free` and `argyll` packages installed,
you have to use Argyll's `colprof` command to convert every .ti3 color
profile from `icc-profiles-free` to .icc, like this:

# Begin of commands
for each in "/usr/share/color/icc/"*".ti3"; do
        colprof "${each%\.ti3}"
done
# End of commands

Another possibility is to buy a printer that expects RGB images and
converts them to CMYK when printing, thus eliminating the needed for
CMYK-oriented workspace setups.