According to Build engine's author[0] this is why he created his own license instead of using the GPL.

> Short answer: to satisfy my ego :) Long answer: I know GPL is an industry standard, but I felt that it was way too long and boring for anyone to read seriously. I chose to write a nice short license that everybody could understand. This way, people unfamiliar with GPL would understand their rights.

It's seems like he misunderstood not only the GPL but free software in general (I'm guessing it would have been "too long and boring" to learn about it). Apparently he thought the important takeaway of "open source" is the ability to look at source code and use it for limited hobbyist non-commercial use.

[0] http://advsys.net/ken/buildsrc/